Better Than Batman Superman Spiderman and The Incredible Hulk Combined

Hour 7 Team 5

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Top Five Animals that are Best fit to live in a Desert.

About me: My name is Thea. I'm in High School. I really love music, and sleeping, and eating, and blinking, and breathing. You know...normal things people do every second of the day just to stay alive. I really enjoy the class I'm in right now. It practically keeps me sane. Besides this one kid on my team called Destin...ha-ha. He is going to read this and get mad. Anyway, my teacher expects us to each type 1000 words, but I can promise that this probably wont be close....So that’s me. Enjoy reading.


In my post you will view the top 5 animals that are best fit to live in a desert environment, and read about why they are fit to do so. This also includes pictures.
There will be one maybe two animal(s) from each category. The categories are Birds, Mammals, Amphibians, and Reptiles.


Animal Number one is.....The Camel!
Why you ask? Allow me to explain.

Camels are able to drink large amounts of water in one day.
so it lasts them for quite sometime.
You may be thinking, don’t their humps hold water?
No. Their humps are actually just fatty tissue!
But the humps to give them an added energy.
A feature of their nostrils is that a large amount of water vapor in their exhalations is trapped and returned to their body fluids, thereby reducing the amount of water lost through respiration.




Animal number two is...The Ostrich.
Let me tell you why.
The Ostrich is a fast runner.
The Ostrich can reach sprinting speeds of 40 miles per hour. That’s pretty fast.
The Ostrich does not stick its head in the sand. It does lay down when it senses predators are near which may give the appearance that its head is in the sand.




Animal three is....The Sidewinder Rattle Snake.
Now, lets tell you why.
The name Sidewinder is derived from the snake's sideways movement. The S-shaped movement allows the snake to move quickly across the desert floor. Thus avoiding touching the hot ground. Also, They have supraocular scales above its eyes. This adaptation may help shade the eyes or prevent sand drifting over them as the snake lies almost buried in the sand.





Animal Number four is...The Sonoran Desert Toad!
why?
The Sonoran Desert Toad will secrete a toxin when attacked. If a predator picks up a toad in its mouth the predator may become sick or even die. The toxin is a hallucinogen. So I’m pretty sure that if someone attempted to eat this buddy...it’s going to get messed up.





Animal Number five is...The Kangaroo Rat!
Well here is why!
Kangaroo Rats have large and powerful hind legs that resemble those of a Kangaroo's. They use their legs to protect themselves, dig their burrows and hop away from predators much like Kangaroos do. They are not related to Kangaroos even thought they have the name and some similarities. ALSO! They have pouches on the sides of their mouths that can be used for carrying food. So they can run around for a while with food that’s being saved.


3 comments:

North Naturalists said...

i like the sarcasm ha ha
pretty good maybe should have counted down from 5 instead to build suspense

-Heather T.

North Naturalists said...

Liked the format and information. could possibly have been more? overall good
Megan Touchton

North Naturalists said...

I like your post its informational and very funny. I love the way you write--it sounds just like you talk lol. The only thing I would say about it is try to add some more words, but besides that, Good Job!